Thursday, December 11, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

I am walking around with my head hanging low right now.

Let me explain.

I have been unsure about how much I loved my engagement ring.
I made it on a whim one day when I was feeling a tad on the low and hormonal side.
I will admit it, I really wanted a bloody ring and I was determined to make it myself that day.

And it was really nice.
But not quite right.

Some days I would look at it and think that it was right. That it was THE ring.
But it just wasn't.

So yesterday I was all "I'm going to melt it down with some other gold that I have and make myself a heavier band. Simple, hammered band ring."
Easy peasy right?

No.

What I forgot to take into account was that metal, when it's in it molten form, wants to stay close to itself. Like a ball.
So, instead of melting into the lovely rectangular moat that I had carved out of my charcoal block (into the perfect shape for hammering into a simple ring) that I thought would be so easy, the gold all bunched up together into a round ball.
That I then hammered the crap out of for what felt like HOURS into this strange almost rectangular worm.



SO I could hammer the crap out of it some more if I wanted. It's ALMOST halfway to the length that I need it to be to make it into a ring my size.
...
OR I could suck it up. And wait until we can afford to get some 18k and make my engagement ring and my wedding band out of the same materials.
LIKE I HAD ORIGINALLY PLANNED.

So at the moment I am wearing a temporary silver band, sweet, simple and straightforward.
because I don't want to NOT wear a ring right now. Irrational? Perhaps.

Now that we are engaged, and I have worn a ring for a while, it feels a little weird to not wear one.
So there it is.

1 comment:

  1. You're fine. And reasonably reasonable.
    I am more concerned with the photo of your temporary band. Is that a dead cat you are resting your hand on?

    ReplyDelete